1821: “1821 census. Hartismere Hundreds. Redlingfield Perpetual Curacy. Houses, 23. Males, 117. Females, 105. Total, 222.” (1)
1832: “Redlingfield, 3 miles S.E. from Eye. Popula. 222. Here there was a Benedictine Nunnery, founded in the year 1120, by Manasses Earl of Ghisnes; yearly value 81l. 2s. 5½d., now worth 1.622l. 9s. 2d.; granted, 28 Hen.Vlll., to Edmund Bedingfield.” (2)
1836: “Eye. Total number of persons qualified to vote for a Member of Parliament (consisting of the several parishes of Eye, Hoxne, Denham, Redlingfield, Occold, Thorndon, Braiseworth, Yaxley, Thrandeston, Brome and Oakley), 278.
Number of persons (out of the above 278) qualified to vote for Councillors (the ancient municipal boundary remaining the same), 84.
Total number of persons qualified to vote for Councillors under the Municipal Reform. Act (the ancient municipal boundary remaining the same), 116.
Number of persons (out of the above 116) qualified to vote for a Member of Parliament in the said borough, 84.
18 February 1836. Edgar Chenery, Town Clerk.” (3)
1837: “Redlingfield, parish, England, hundred Hartesmere, со. Suffolk. Acres, 1700. Real prop. £1020. Pop. 235. Eye (P. т. 81). Liv, a cur. in the dioc. Norwich. Ann. val. £64.” (4)
1837: The Borough of Eye “The Parishes of Hoxne, Denham, Redlingfield, Occold, Thorndon, Braisworth, Parliamentary Yaxley, Thrandiston, Broome, and Oakley, were added, by the Boundary Act, to Boundary this Borough, for the purpose of electing a Member to serve in Parliament.” (5)
1837: Suffolk Year ended 25 March 1837. “Parishes, Townships, &c. In Hartismere Hundred - Redlingfield. Total Money Levied. £114. Expended for the Relief of the Poor. £119. Expended in Removal of Paupers, Law Charges, &c. - Payments for, or towards County Rate. £17. Expended for all other Purposes. £5. The Parochial Rates Expended. £141.” (6)
1839: “Redlingfield, is chiefly memorable for a monastery of Benedictine Nuns, founded by Manasses de Gratia earl of Guisnes, and Emma his wife, 1120, and endowed by them with the manor of this parish. This house was valued upon the dissolution at £67. 12/2. It was granted 28 Henry VIII. to Edmund Beding field, which family enjoyed it till it was sold to John Willis, esq. The manor of Redlingfield with its members is now vested in Alexander Adair, esq. This parish contains 222 inhabitants.” (7)
1841: Hundred of Humbleyard “Christian Name & Surname of each Voter. Barnes, John. Place of abode. Redlingfield, Suffolk. Nature of Qualification. Copyhold house and land. Street, Lane, or other like Place in the Parish where the Property is situate, or name of the Property, or name of the Tenant. H. Risborough, tenant.” (8) [At its origin in medieval England, copyhold tenure was tenure of land according to the custom of the manor, the “title deeds” being a copy of the record of the manor court. The privileges granted to each tenant, and the exact services he was to render to his lord in return for them, were described in a book kept by the Steward, who gave a copy of the same to the tenant; consequently these tenants were afterwards called copyholders in contrast to freeholders. Copyholds were gradually enfranchised (turned into ordinary holdings of land, either freehold or 999-year leasehold) as a result of the Copyhold Acts during the 19th century. By this time, servitude to the Lord of the Manor was merely token, discharged on purchasing the copyhold by payment of a “fine in respite of fealty”. Part V of the Law of Property Act 1922 finally extinguished the last of them.]
1844: “Redlingfield, a village and parish, in the parliamentary borough, and 3½ miles S. by E. of Eye, contains 240 souls, and 1074A. ЗR. 13P. of land, all, excepting about 100A., the property of Wm. Adair, Esq., the lord of the manor, impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the Church, which is a perpetual curacy, valued at £71, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Chas. Notly, B.D., of Eye. A Benedictine Nunnery was founded here, in 1120, by Manasses, Earl of Guisnes, and Emma his wife, who endowed it with the manor of Redlingfield. At the dissolution, this house was valued at £67. 0s. 1 ½d., and was granted to Edmund Bedingfield, from whose family it passed to that of Willis, and from the latter to the Adairs. Of this monastery, there are still considerable remains, part of it being converted into a farm-house, and its chapel being the parish church, which is a small fabric, without a tower. In a hollow part of the wall, at the west end, is a swarm of bees, which settled there about twenty years ago, when they are said to have followed a corpse brought here for interment. The tithes were соmmuted in 1839 for £208 per annum, to the impropriator. The Town Estate, vested for the reparation of the church and the relief of the poor, consists of 40 acres, in the parishes of Redlingfield, Denham, and Hoxne, let for £45 a year.
Bane Thomas, wheelwright - Bolton Robert, wheelwright - Cracknell George, carpenter - Howes Oliver, blacksmith - Rowe Wm. corn miller and house . Farmers Barnes John - Bolton Robert - Cracknell Chas.(& tax colr.) Rookery - Cracknell George, Hall - Cracknell Mary Ann - Cracknell Thomas - Johnson Maria - Platford Edward (and owner)” (9)
Eye Directory - 4 Castle Street “Notly Rev Chas.B.D. incumbent of Redlingfield” (9)
Occold - “The Town Estate was mostly devised by John Henman, in 1449, for certain superstitious uses, the payment of tenths and fifteenths, the relief of the poor, and the reparation of the church and highways. It was conveyed to new trustees, in 1813, and consists of the town- houses, occupied by paupers; a house and 4A. of land, let for £10 a year; and a messuage, farm house, outbuildings, and46½A. of land, in Occold and Redlingfield, let for about £58 per annum.” (9)
“Rishangles, a small village on the turnpike, 4 miles S. of Eye and N. of Debenhain, has in its parish 261 souls, and 718A. ЗR. 22Р. of land. The manor belonged to the nuns of Redlingfield, and was granted in the 4th of Philip and Mary to Wm. Honing and Nicholas Cutler. It afterwards belonged to Lord Orwell, and is now held by Richard Dalton, Esq., but the soil belongs mostly to Lord Henniker, H. D. E. Henisworth, Esq., Messrs. John Raw and James Wingfield, and several smaller free and copyholders.” (9) [A=acre, R=rod, P=poll]
1848: “Redlingfield, a parish, in the parliamentary borough of Eye, union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Eye; containing 240 inhabitants. A Benedictine nunnery in honour of St. Andrew, was founded here in 1120, by Manasses, Earl of Ghisness, and Emma, his wife; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was valued at £81. 2. 5. The remains have been converted into a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £71; patron and impropriator, William Adair, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £251. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, with a low tower.” (10)
1849: “The parishes comprised within the heavy land district are the following, viz.: in East Suffolk, ... Redlingfield, ... But it must be borne in remembrance that throughout the heavy land district, wherever a valley with a rivulet is found, however small, the flat is generally deeper soil and the sloping land adjoining more tender.” (11)
1851: “Redlingfield. a parish in Hartismere hund. and union, county of Suffolk ; 3 miles south-east by south of Eye. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Sudbury and dio. of Norwich, now in the dio. of Ely ; returned at £64 ; gross income £71. Tithes commuted in 1839. Patron, in 1835, A. Adair, Esq. Here is a daily school. Charities, in 1829, £45 per annum, applied to parochial purposes. Poor rates, in 1838, £78 12s. This parish has been included within the parliamentary boundaries of the borough of Eye. Acres 1,700. Houses 23. A. P. £1,020. Pop. in 1801, 212; in 1831, 235.” (12)
1855: “Redlingfield, a village and parish, in the parliamentary borough, and 3½ miles S. by E. of Eye, contains 251 souls, and 1074A. ЗR. 13P. of land, all, excepting about 100A., the property of Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., the lord of the manor, impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the Church, which is a perpetual curacy, valued at £71, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Chas Notley, B.D., of Eye. A Benedictine Nunnery was founded here in 1120, by Manasses, Earl of Guisnes, and Emma his wife, who endowed it with the manor of Redlingfield. At the dissolution, this house was valued at £67. 0s. 1½d., and was granted to Edmund Bedingfeld, from whose family it passed to that of Willis, and from the latter to the Adairs. Of this monastery, there are still considerable remains, part of it being converted into a farm-house, and its chapel being the parish church, which is a small fabric, without a tower. In the hollow part of the wall, at the west end, is a swarm of bees, which settled there about
30 years ago, when they are said to have followed a corpse brought here for interment. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £208 per annum to the impropriator. The Town Estate, vested for the reparation of the church and the relief of the poor, consists of 40 acres, in the parishes of Bedlingfield, Denham, and Hoxne, let for £45 a year. Post from Eye.
Bolton Robert, wheelwright & joiner - Harvey James, beerhouse - Howes Alfred, blacksmith - Rowe Wm. corn miller - Taylor Roger, shopkeeper - Witton George, shoemaker. Farmers Barnes John, (owner) - Bolton Robt Cracknell John, Wash, & My. A., Green - Cracknell Mrs Mary, Rookery -Johnson Fras., Hall and Mill Farms - Platfoot Edward, (owner,) Cross Farm.” (13) [bart. Traditional abbreviation for baronet][fra, fras short for frate, from Latin frater -brother as in a monk]
Eye Directory - Castle Street “Notley Rev Chas., B.D. master of Grammar School , & incbt. of Redlingfield” (13)
1856: “Redlingfield, a parish in Suffolk, 3 m. SE by S of Eye. Area 1,075 acres. Pop. in 1801, 212; in 1831, 235; in 1851, 251. This parish has been included within the parliamentary boundaries of the borough of Eye.” (14)
1865: Mentioned in The Post Office Directory of Norfolk & Suffolk: “Notly Rev. Charles, B.D. chaplain to the union of Hartismere, master of Free Grammar school, perpetual curate of Redlingfield, & surrogate, Church Street [Eye].” Also mentioned as living in Redlingfield are: the farmers J Barnes and I Pike; the publican of the Crown J Harvey; and shopkeeper R Taylor. (15)
1867: “Parishes in which the Small Tenements Rating Act is not in Force. Redlingfield: Population 1861 - 203. Inhabited Houses 1861 - 45” (16)
1874: Redlingfield, 1,055 acres, population 189, 41 houses. (17)
1896: “Redlingfield is a parish and village, 3½ miles south-by-east from Eye terminal station on a branch from Mellis of the Great Eastern railway, in the North Eastern division of the county, Hartismere Hundred petty sessional division and union, Eye county court district, rural deanery of Hartismere, Suffolk arch-deaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. Andrew is a building of brick and flint in the Norman style, consisting only of chancel, nave and south porch and was formerly portion of a Benedictine nunnery founded here in 1120; of this building but little more than the church now remains the interior of which was restored and reseated in 1873: there are 120 sittings. The register now in existence dates from 1740, the earlier ones having been destroyed. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £8, glebe 60 acres at Shipmeadow, net yearly value nil, and is at present (1896) vacant, the Rev. A. J. Spencer, vicar of Eye, taking charge of the parish for the Bishop of Norwich; it is in the gift of Sir Hugh Edward Adair bart. The charities arise from land, now (1896) unoccupied. The parish is principally the property of Sir Hugh Edward Adair bart. who is lord of the manor and impropriator of the great tithes, commuted in 1839 at £208 yearly. The soil is loam; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover, peas and beans. The area is 1,060 acres; rateable value, £754; the population in 1891 was 175.
Parish Clerk, George Bayles Cracknell. Letters received through Eye by foot post every day, arrive at 8.50 a.m. Wall Post Box, near the church, is cleared at 8 a.m. week days only. Eye is also the nearest money order & telegraph office. A School Board of 5 members was formed in March, 1894; Edward Bond, The Rookery, Eye, clerk to the board. Board School (mixed), erected in 1872, for 43 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Elizh. Barnes, mistress.
Coe Joseph, wheelwright - Cracknell George, farmer, Wash farm - Cracknell Walter (exors. of), farmers The Rookery - Goldspink George Frederick, farmer - Gray William Edward, Crown P.H. - Howes George Bayles, blacksmith - Howlett Benjamin, farmer - Lawes William, farmer - Mole William, farmer & shopkeeper - Reeve David, farmer, assistant overseer & highway surveyor Redlingfield hall” (18)
1912: “... The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £9, with 60 acres of glebe at Shipmeadow, in the gift of Capt. Sir Frederick Edward Shafto Adair bart. and held since 1910 (as sequestrator) by the Rev Herbert Edward Champion Marshall M A of Christ's College Cambridge, who is rector of and resides at Occold. The charities arise from land occupied by the trustees of Robert Freeman Woods. . The parish is principally the property of Sir Frederick Edward Shafto Adair bart. Of Flixton Hall who is lord of the manor and impropriator of the great tithes, commuted in 1839 at £208 yearly. The soil is loam; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover, peas and beans. The area is 1,060 acres; rateable value, £662; the population in 1911 was 167.
Parish Clerk, Martin Cracknell. Letters received through Eye every day, arrive at 8.50 a.m. Wall Post Box, near the church, is cleared at 5.55 p.m. week days only. Eye is also the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3½ miles distant. A School Council of six members was formed in April 1903; William Edward Gray of Redlingfield, correspondent to the school. Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1872, for 32 children; average attendance, 31; Miss Gertrude Rutter, mistress.
Bolton Charles Edward - Brady Arthur John (Mrs), farmer, Coe Joseph, wheelwright - Cracknell Walter (exors. of), farmers, The Rookery - Edward Allan Thomas, farmer - Goldspink George Frederick (Mrs), farmer - Gray William Edward, Crown P.H. & assistant overseer - Howes George Bayles, blacksmith - Howlett Benjamin, farmer - Jackson Samuel, farmer - Manning James, farmer - Rayner Arthur, farmer” (19)
1) The Norfolk and Norwich Remembrancer and Vade-Mecum [by J. Matchett]. Edition: 2. 1822.
2) A Geographical Dictionary Of England And Wales: Containing The names, in Alphabetical Order, of all the Counties, with their several Subdivisions into Hundreds, Lathes, Rapes, Wapentakes, Wards, or Divisions; and an Account of the Distribution of the Counties into Circuits, Dioceses, and Parliamentary Divisions. By William Cobbett Published by William Cobbett, 1832
3) Parliamentary Papers. Published by HMSO, 1836. Item notes: v. 43.
4) A New And Comprehensive Gazetteer By George Newenham Wright. Published by T. Kelly, 1837. Item notes: v. 4.
5) Parliamentary Papers. Published by HMSO, 1837. Item notes: v. 26.
6) Annual Report Of The Poor Law Commissioners For England And Wales. Published by Poor Law Commission Office, 1837.
7) A Topographical And Historical Description Of The County Of Suffolk. By John Kirby. Published 1839.
8) The register of electors to vote in the choice of members to serve in parliament for the eastern division of the county of Norfolk, at any election which shall take place between the first day of November, 1840, and the first day of November, 1841. Published 1841.
9) History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk, and the Towns Near Its Borders: Comprising ... a General Survey of the County, and Separate Histories & Statistical & Topographical Descriptions of All the Hundreds, Liberties, Unions, Boroughs, Towns, Ports, Parishes, Townships, Villages, & Hamlets ... By William White, 1844.
10) A Topographical Dictionary of England. Samuel Lewis (editor), 1848.
11) On the agriculture of Suffolk. By William Raynbird, Hugh Raynbird, Royal Agricultural Society of England. Published by Longman and Co., 1849
12) The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales: Adapted to the Most Recent Statistical Arrangements, and Lines of Railroad and Canal Communication, with a Complete County-atlas of England ... Maps of Wales, and an Appendix, Containing ... the Census of 1841. Published by A. Fullarton & Co., 1851. Item notes: v. 4.
13) History, Gazetteer, And Directory Of Suffolk. By William White. 1855.
14) A Gazetteer of the World: Or, Dictionary of Geographical Knowledge, Compiled from the Most Recent Authorities, and Forming a Complete Body of Modern Geography - Physical, Political, Statistical, Historical, and Ethnographical. Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). Published by A. Fullarton, 1856.
15) The Post Office Directory of Norfolk & Suffolk. By E.R. Kelly. 1865.
16) Parliamentary papers. Published by HMSO, 1867. Item notes: v. 60.
17) Directory Of Suffolk. By William White. 1874.
18) Kelly's Directory of Suffolk. 1896.
19) Kelly's Directory of Suffolk. 1912.