The village to 1914

Redlingfield was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Radinghefelda while a 12th century seal records the name of the community as Radling and in 1428 the village was known as Redyngfeld. The village - home to a Benedictine Priory until the dissolution of the monasteries between 1536 and 1541 - was, and still is, a largely rural area with farming playing an important part in everyday life. The pages in this section cover everything from everday life to the lords of the manor.